In keeping with our Mission Statement, one of our core activities is to apply nanotechnology and our proprietary nano-carbon materials (nanodiamonds, nano-onions and fullerenes) to develop products for a sustainable economy. Nanotechnology makes it possible to reduce the carbon footprint and environmental impact of existing products and develop altogether new-to-the-world products that provide a number of benefits:
- Energy: Energy consumption is the most important factor in determining a product’s lifecycle carbon footprint. We are developing products to enhance the energy efficiency of systems by reducing friction, improving heat transfer and improving energy efficiency (i.e. photovoltaic panels).
Material Replacement: Industrial and consumer products are made of materials whose production can have a negative impact on the environment. We are developing solutions that will allow replacement of hazardous substances in formulated products (e.g. lubricants), or hazardous metals used as quantum dots, and develop new materials with superior mechanical and thermal properties like polymer matrix composites.
- Lightweighting: Nanotechnology also enables us to use fewer resources including less energy during manufacturing and less fuel for transportation. For instance, our advanced composites with high strength-to-weight ratio enable emission reduction in the transportation industry.
- Lifetime: Nanotechnology has the potential to significant effect the lifetime of industrial and consumer products, thereby reducing total resource consumption (i.e. need for replacement). Nanoplazz offers enhanced wear and fatigue resistance through its advanced composites.
Nanodiamonds and other carbon nanoparticles can be incorporated into other bulk materials and formulated products. Because of their unique properties, they can have a significant impact on bulk properties allowing for superior performance or multiple functionalities.
A handful of nanodiamond applications have been commercialized since the discovery of nanodiamonds including
In recent years development of applications utilizing nanodiamonds has exploded. Applications attracting significant efforts include
Nanoplazz’s focus on a sustainable economy has defined our early product development efforts:
- Advanced lubricants and nanofluids to reduce friction and wear, improve heat transfer, and increase lifetime
- Specialty coatings including including coatings for smart optical monitoring.
- Novel polymer matrix composites with enhanced strength-to-weight ratios, thermal characteristics, and lifetimes,
- Renewable energy applications such as in solar panels and super capacitors
- Optical sensors
Lubricants and Thermal Fluids
The addition of a small fraction of nanodiamonds to lubricants reduces friction under high load conditions and reduces wear, thereby increasing lifetime. In thermal fluids, nanodiamonds enhance heat conductivity.
Heat Transfer Oils
The addition of nanodiamonds to polymeric coatings provides a range of benefits:
UV Resistant Coatings
Polymer Matrix Composites
The addition of nanodiamonds to thermoplastics, thermosets, rubbers, fluoropolymers, and biopolymers can yield a range of property and performance enhancements such as
Lightweighting Airplane Parts
3D Printing with Polymeric Materials
The use of nanodiamonds is being explored in a range of energy applications including
- Solar PV efficiency enhancement
- Modification of Electrode
- Enhancement of supercapacitor performance
Solar PV Energy Efficiency
Nanodiamonds act as quantum dots which are man-made nanoscale crystals that that can transport electrons. When UV light hits these semiconducting nanoparticles, they can emit light of various colors. These artificial semiconductor nanoparticles that have found applications in composites, solar cells and fluorescent biological labels.